The Menstrual Cycle aka Period is the sign of womanhood and motherhood. It is as normal and as natural as you breathe. However, the Menstrual Cycle came with a lot of hidden problems. Some of them depend on your lifestyle factors while some are medical problems. So, please do not underestimate your period issues.
Normal Menstrual Cycle
What does a normal period is like?
- An ideal menstrual cycle is from 22–35 days.
- An ideal menstrual phase is from 2–8 days.
- Usually not very painful.
- Unclotted blood flow.
- Blood loss is 35–50 ml.
- No intermenstrual bleeding (means there should be no bleeding between two periods)
- No post-coital bleeding
- No post-menopausal bleeding
Let us check the major period problems.
- Irregular Periods
Irregular periods have two types.
- Excessive period like two times a month.
- No period for months.
i. Phases Of Irregular Periods
There are different phases where women usually get irregular periods.
- Puberty after first menstruation
ii. Pathological Causes
Some pathological causes of irregular periods are.
- Thyroid problem
- Excess prolactin
iii. External Causes:
There are some lifestyle causes of irregular periods:
- Fad diets
- Junk food
- Excessive consumption of plastic
Firstly, change your lifestyle. Cut out the junk and packaged food from your diet. Eat balanced and home-cooked food. Go regular with your exercise and activity.
But still, if the problem continues, please do not hesitate to go to a doctor.
2. Menstrual cramps
During the menstrual phase of the cycle, uterus muscles contract to shed blood.
Menstrual cramps have varied causes.
ii. General Treatment
- If you have a dehydrated body, it is a sign of weak muscles or iron deficiency. Massage your navel with essential oils. Give yourself a head massage or ask your mother or grandmother to do it.
- Stop having drying foods like tea or coffee
- Heating pads work like magic.
- Some beverages like ginger tea, cinnamon tea, turmeric milk help calm and relax your body.
- Magnesium-rich foods like leafy vegetables, bananas, nuts, etc. can help.
- Stress is your worst enemy. So, some yoga poses like a child’s pose, knee to chest pose, or just a corpse pose will give you the rest you need.
- Take painkillers after professional consultancy.
- If the above methods do not work out, consult a doctor immediately.
3. PMS (Premenstrual Syndrome)
You will get some signs before periods. For some women it is normal but for some, it is a big deal. The main reason is that your estrogen level is low which makes you feel dull.
There is a need to balance the hormones. So, when your period date comes near:
- Cut out the junk and packaged food.
- Get minimum 6–7 hrs. uninterrupted sleep.
- Get regular with your exercise. 20 minutes of walking or stretching is enough also.
- Meditate and do breathing exercises.
Categorization Of Women On Their Body Types
But we will get into more details because every women’s body is different. Let us categorize for convenience.
These are women who go through periods with intense pain and heavy flow. Few causes are:
- A young teenager who has not gone through the childbirth process.
- Any medical condition
So, understand your body. Do not push yourself too hard. And consult a doctor where needed.
These are women with less flow and less pain. So here is the good news. Eat healthy food and stick to your exercise regime.
These are women athletes, long-distance runners, or those who overtrain.
Athletic amenorrhea is a condition where you do not get periods. It is because your body is already under a lot of stress due to overindulgence.
It can lead to:
- Premature aging
- Increased cholesterol levels.
What to do then?
Take a step back. Reduce that external pressure.
- Either reduce the frequency
- Or change and tweak the routine.
- Consulting a doctor is important.
- Periods And Exercise
It is the most asked question, “Should I work out during my periods?” The answer is a straightforward Yes. It is a myth that you cannot exercise and give rest to your body to recover. Instead, exercise can help release feel-good hormones making you more energized. Regular exercise will ensure a regular and easy period. It will help in PMS as well.
On a final note, whatever you do please take care of yourself and practice self-love. You should be healthy and disease-free only for yourself.